A DIY Onboarding Program for Board Directors
New to the boardroom?
Not every board offers a robust orientation program for new directors. This course shows you how to take the onboarding process into your own hands.
Take Charge of Your Board Orientation
Feeling overwhelmed by the sheer volume of material, and a little lost about your new organization and your board role? After this course, you'll be able to take charge of your own board orientation. You'll be in a great position to contribute meaningfully early on in your board tenure.
Who is DIY Onboarding For?
This course is right for you if …
- … you’re excited about a new board appointment and eager to become a really effective board director.
- … you’re new to board work and you’re feeling unsure of how to get started with all the information you need and where to get it.
- … you’ve had board experience before, but now you’re on a new board and you’re feeling uninformed about the organization and the industry.
- … your board does not provide a robust orientation program for new directors.
- ... you want to learn at your own pace, at the time and place that works best for you.
And if you've been tasked with designing a comprehensive onboarding program for your board, our DIY Onboarding course can provide you with a blueprint!
By the end of this program you will:
- Be confident about what you need to know and how to go about finding it.
- Be ready to embark on your own self-directed onboarding program.
- Know some basic board governance fundamentals.
- Understand your role as a board director.
- Be able to make meaningful contributions early on in your board tenure.
- Build a strong foundation for your success path to being a savvy director.
"The DIY Onboarding course is well worth the time and money. Whether you are joining a board or providing orientation for others, this provides all the information and tools required in a user friendly format.”
Board Chair, Manitoba Arts Council
What People Are Saying about DirectorPrep
Past Chair, St.Amant
“Whether you’re new to the board table or have years of board experience, DirectorPrep has got you covered.”
Vice Chair, James Richardson & Sons, Limited
"DirectorPrep has proven to be an invaluable resource. I am very thankful that its existence has coincided with the early stages of my involvement in governance."
Board Director, Canadian Center for Child Protection
“DirectorPrep is a unique source of practical, user-friendly resources for board members, developed by people who have ‘been there’.”
Board Director, Canadian Chamber of Commerce
“DirectorPrep has some great tools and resources that I refer to and use often.”
What's Inside the DIY Onboarding Course?
The DirectorPrep DIY Onboarding course will guide you through three learning modules. After you’ve worked your way through all the lessons, we’re confident you’ll feel empowered to take charge of your own onboarding!
Module 1 - The Building Blocks of Governance Skills
In this module you’ll discover the four subject areas where you’ll need to focus your attention. We call them the four building blocks.
- You’ll learn what you need to know about the environment of the industry, sector or profession that your organization operates in.
- We’ll cover how you can deepen your understanding of the organization itself – its strategy, financial situation, and organizational culture.
- We’ll drill down into the kinds of things you’ll want to know about your board and how it operates.
- And finally, you’ll get a taste of board governance – what it is and why it matters.
Module 2 - Taking Charge of Building Your Governance Skills
Where Module 1 was all about what you need to know, in Module 2 you’ll learn about how to find it. We’ll cover five different methods for accessing the information you need to hone your governance skills.
- You’ll learn about face-to-face meetings – who to meet with and why.
- We’ll cover the advantages of having a board buddy – formal or informal.
- You’ll learn about asking questions – when and how.
- We’ll provide you with some ideas to invest in learning – in-person or online.
- And finally, we’ll cover the great range of resources available for you to read extensively.
Module 3 - Board Governance at a Glance
Module 3 will provide a bit of a departure. You’ll learn some of the fundamentals, or rules of the road, that new directors often ask about when they start serving on boards.
- First, we’ll cover the board’s role – it’s main functions in providing oversight for the organization.
- Next up, you’ll learn about the board’s legal duties.
- We’ll provide an introduction to the topic of director liabilities and how to make sure you are protected.
- And finally, we’ll dig into the director’s role and some of the rules that apply.
When you enroll in DIY Onboarding, you'll get all this:
- DirectorPrep Co-founder Scott Baldwin will guide you through each video lesson.
- You’ll be able to download the Video Transcripts and Slide Decks for each lesson.
- We’ll provide downloadable Reference Material for each module, allowing you to dig even deeper into the topics covered.
- You’ll be able to take charge of your onboarding with the help of a suite of downloadable DirectorPrep tools - My Building Blocks Planner, My Plan to Take Charge, My Governance Self-Evaluation and My Onboarding Checklist.
All this will automatically become available to you in your personal DirectorPrep Library once you enroll in the DIY Onboarding course. You'll just login with your personal password and click on the My Library tab in the DirectorPrep menu.
You'll be able to start the course any time, and work through it at your own pace. And you can access the course materials at any time and place that's convenient for you.
Plus You'll Be Backed by a Risk-Free 14-Day Guarantee
We’re so sure that you’ll love our DIY Onboarding program that we’re offering this money back guarantee.
If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied, simply contact DirectorPrep during your first 30 days and we’ll refund your money, no questions asked.
Still Thinking About It?
You should give the DIY Onboarding program a 14-day risk-free shot if you’re motivated by any of the following:
- You’re uncertain about how to get up-to-speed quickly on a new board.
- You’re eager to become a really effective board director.
- You’re feeling overwhelmed by the volume of information you’re expected to consume.
- The orientation program offered by your board just doesn’t cut it.
- You want to learn at your own pace, where and when it's convenient for you.
- You recognize the terrific value the DIY Onboarding course provides.
“DirectorPrep provides practical and straightforward resources to support anyone who is interested in learning and growing as a director.”
Board Director, The Winnipeg Foundation
Chances are your board doesn’t have an elaborate onboarding program.
Now, I’m all for someone being a self starter and full of initiative.
But what exactly are those key areas a new director should get up to speed on?
You can take the process into your own hands if you know what is needed and how to get it.
You can do it yourself. This course will provide you with the blueprint.